All about the 23 day Sail Learn To Earn Program
23 Day Sail Learn to Earn program on the Whitsundays. Qualify for a Commercial Crew Certificate so you can crew on larger commercial vessels with this practical live aboard and land-based course based out of Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia.
Your program will look like this:
Week 1 - Enjoy the next 6 days sailing, completing the Commercial Crew Course.
Week 2 - 6 days completing your training.
Friday - Finish sail training course at 4:00 pm and stay overnight on a yacht in the marina. Check in for 1 nights accommodation in Airlie Beach overnight Saturday).
Sunday - Start 3 x 2 day 2 night Maxi Sailing tours around the Whitsundays as an extra crew member. In between each 2 days 2 night trip return to Airlie Beach and stay overnight in local accommodation.
At end of the 23 days, you will have an interview with the Human Resource Manager for the Sailing Companies. Successful candidates can apply for employment when a position vacancy comes up. Please note, this program does NOT guarantee employment, however successful candidates who apply themselves and receive good reports from the Vessel Masters place themselves in the best position for employment. Further, candidates are advised that working on a commercial charter yacht is hard work, and while the sailing component is exotic, the job also includes guest services, snorkelling watches, assisting with cooking, cleaning, provisioning and general work on board the vessel as per the instructions of the Master.
Sail Training Courses involve theory on board the yacht, then practice of the theory. Course participants also get the added benefit of also having a holiday as we learn. Courses are designed to meet the National Standards for Commercials Vessels (NSCV). The Whitsundays is truly one of the most magical sailing destinations in the world, 74 islands, 66 being in their natural state with no buildings. While sailing around the Whitsundays, stop at Whitehaven Beach, enjoy guided island walks and Snorkel Coral Reefs which extend from the Islands.
9:00 am Monday from Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia. (except 10 Dec - 02 Jan)
Check in by 7.00pm the day prior to departure at Shop 1, 4 Airlie Esplanade, Airlie Beach
Important NotesThings you need to know about this tour
- Guests should pack in a soft sided bag.
- Please Bring 2 x Passport Photos for the Commercial Seatime Log Book.
- At end of the 23 Day Program: an interview will be arranged with a Human Resource / Recruitment Manager to evaluate performance with a view to employment. Employment is based on positions being available and successful performance.
- For international travelers, who wish to apply to work at the end of the program it is necessary to obtain a Working Holiday Visa before leaving home. www.immi.gov.au
- To work in Australia, a valid Australian Tax File Number is necessary. We suggest this is arranged before leaving home. www.ato.gov.au